What is MWHA?
Multicultural Women's Health Australia (MWHA)
Multicultural Women's Health Australia is a new program that provides national leadership in immigrant
and refugee women's health, operating strategically across Australia to improve the capacity of immigrant
and refugee women to make informed choices about their sexual and reproductive health.
What does MWHA do?:
- Makes available an online catalogue of over 5,500 quality multilingual resources and information in over 40 languages
- Operates a 1800 number to act as a central point of contact
- Brings together a national network of service providers specialising in immigrant and refugee women's health to collaborate and share strategies across Australia
- Offers professional development opportunities across Australia for those interested in immigrant and refugee women's health
- Develops and delivers a national cross-cultural awareness training program for health professionals and community workers
- Advocates for immigrant and refugee women's health with government and other key stakeholders
- Develops policy and brings together significant research about immigrant and refugee women's health to inform government and other key stakeholders
Research has shown that immigrant and refugee women across Australia have poorer sexual and reproductive health outcomes than women born in Australia. Immigrant and refugee women are over-represented in the statistics of serious illnesses and conditions, including maternal deaths, perinatal mortality, gestational diabetes and ovarian cancer. Access to health services is poorer than in the general population, and the preventative health message is not getting through to this vulnerable and high-needs group. Specific research is patchy and inconsistent and service delivery across Australia is not well coordinated.
MWHA contributes to a steady improvement in immigrant and refugee women's health. It brings together information, research, cultural awareness strategies and a network of health organisations specializing in immigrant and refugee women's health to improve women's capacity to make informed decisions about their sexual and reproductive health.
MWHA National Free Call 1800 Number
The Multicultural Women's Health Australia Program has a national free call 1800 number.
Call 1800 656 421 if you would like information on immigrant and refugee women's wellbeing including sexual and reproductive health.
We look forward to hearing from you.